In terms of width, Archies Thongs are designed to be a reasonably narrow fitting thong. The outside edge of the foot hangs over the edge to some extent in most people, so please do not be concerned if this is the case for you, as this is the normal fit for Archies Thongs (as per the below image). It is important to note, that while the foot overhangs to some extent in most people, it is quite rare that we cannot fit Archies Thongs to someone’s feet, no matter how wide or narrow they are. Even in the case that you have a bunion that overhangs, this is ok, the most important thing is that the thong is comfortable and the orthotic sits in the correct position on the foot.
Please see the image below of completely acceptable overhang.
In terms of length, the thongs were designed with a reasonably ‘snug / tight’ fit in mind. If you go too big in terms of length, the orthotic does not sit in the correct position on the foot. It is important to note, that it is a concern if some of the back edge of the heel hangs over the edge of the thong (as per the below image).
Of course, if your heel is completely over the edge of the heel cup and squashing down on the rim of the thong, then that is different, however, some heel overhang is ok. Again, the most important thing is that the thong is comfortable and the orthotic sits in the correct position on the foot.
|Please see the image below of acceptable overhang:||Please see the image below of too much overhang:|
Archies Thongs have been designed with a tighter strap than normal thongs. The good news is, while a tight strap is essential for normal foot function, it is very, very easy to instantly fix this problem by stretching the strap and toe pole to reach your desired level of tightness!
However, before you do consider doing that, I strongly suggest that you read the below information.
If you are at all interested, here is some background information on why we have a tighter strap:
Please click here for a quick video demonstration of why a tighter thong strap is important for normal foot function.
Archies Thongs have been designed with a tighter strap than normal thongs, this is because in thongs with a loose strap, the toes claw down in an attempt to keep the thongs on the feet.
Normally when you walk your toes are supposed to point/bend upwards. When the toes point/bend upwards, this activates the arch of the foot which helps provide protection and support to the vital structures of the feet.
When the toes claw down such as when trying to keep the thongs on the feet, the arch does not activate correctly which means that you do not get the protective support from the arch of the foot like you are supposed to. This can leave the foot tired and achy, vulnerable to stress and potential injury.
The tighter strap found in Archies Thongs may help to reduce toe clawing which may enable you to walk more naturally. It is important to know, that if the strap feels a little too tight at first, do not worry, the strap is very elastic, within a few days of wear, the strap will gradually stretch and mould to the shape of your feet.
However, if the strap continues to feel too tight, it is very easy to stretch the strap and the toe pole to decrease tightness.
Please click here for a quick instructional video on how to stretch your strap of your thongs.
1. Before stretching the strap, you should always inspect the underside of the strap for a joining line. Occasionally, a joining line will be present and is indicated by a faint line through the underside of the strap. While the strap is very strong, if you stretch the strap directly on a joining line, it can break easily, so never stretch the strap directly on a joining line!
- You should also never stretch the strap directly where it joins onto the outside and inside of the base as this will cause it to tear away from the base.
a) NEVER stretch at the strap insertions to the base!
b) NEVER stretch directly on a joining line!
2. To stretch the strap, simply hold the strap between your fingers and in small little increments stretch each section of the strap where it feels too tight. You can do the same for the toe pole if this feels too tight.
3. Continue to do this, trying the thong on and off, stretching the strap and toe pole until it has reached your desired level of tightness.
4. It is important to note, that while the straps are very elastic, once stretched, the strap will not return to its original tightness, so please be careful not to overdo the stretching!